Wednesday, May 6, 2009

NTA Aba


One day, my group, Sweet Unit, was invited to play at the then popular program 'Now Sound' that belonged to Pal Akalonu (we always called him "Ndaa Pal"). I was the keyboardist and did vocals when necessary within songs, since George Black was the lead vocalist. Wahehe Njoku was the band leader and played the lead guitar. Reginald Njoku was the drummer. I don't know if he will still remember our joke about "Can't Depend On". That's by the way. After play for for Ndaa Pal on his Now Sound program that night in 1977, Ndaa Pal asked me if I went to school. I told him that I did, and that I completed my secondary school education. He asked me if I would like to work for the Nigerian Television Authority; of course, I said "Yes". He told me to come the following Monday to see him. When I got there on the appointed day, it happened that the station was interviewing candidates for jobs. Those candidates probably saw advertisements, applied long ago and waited till the day of their interview (for those who were invited for interviews). I came in and asked for Pal Akalonu. He came out of the interview room and saw me, told me to sit in the lobby and wait till he called me. That was when I realized that I did not just come to give him my curriculum vitae, but that I came to an interview without preparing. In any case, I waited. When I was called, I went in and saw a panel of big shots. They first began to give me compliments on my performance for their Now Sound program. Questions that were not serious were asked and they asked me if I would like to work for them if they employed me. I agreed. They sent for a messenger, told him in my presence to go and put a desk and a chair in an existing room where there were already two tables. When he reported back that he had done what he was told to do, he was told to lead me to that office. They told me that I should follow that man to my desk. They told me to report for duty the next day when I would receive all instructions pertaining to my job. I followed that man to my desk and Saw three desks. Surprisingly, one desk belonged to Zebrudaya. The other one belonged to Clarus. I reported for duty from the next day and began to be loved again over there. The Masquerade crew took me in and casted me for some irregular parts. I also acted the spirit of a dead man for one of Emma Eleanya's serious plays that even frightened me - which means that I have experimented being a spirit! (That's funny). These new developments further enhanced my music career because I began to do other different TV programs for other producers. Osochi Egbuna scheduled me on his "On Wings of Music" where I performed Stevie Wonder's 'Village Ghetto Land'. I learned that song from Beni Tudumey when I went to his house on Jubilee Road and he played Stevie Wonder's album and spoke to solemnly about that song. It sank in my head and when the opportunity came to appear on Osochi Egbuna's show, I performed that song. I still sing that song till today. I also performed Elton John's 'Daniel' for Osochi Egbuna. I formed a trio with Iyke Ekeoma and Prince Orji where we performed on TV sentimental songs and some Christmas tunes at the end of every year.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting story! I happen to know Ndaa Pal, Stoneface Iwuagwu, Rammy Onukwugha, Osochi Egbuna, Basil, Chief His Honorable Palmwine Powerless ... So you know I was in Ogbor Hill too. They used to call me "Onye Kamerun". I preferred the name Kalu Kalu ... Bro, you bring some memories ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the names of Mazi Ukonu, Chike Gbujie, Obi Okoli, Lizzy Ohuche and Ann Njemanze. Christy Essien -Igbokwe was also there at the time. Claude Eke (Jegede)of the blessed memory was there too. These were very popular then at NTA Aba. It was really fun at Aba then.

    ReplyDelete