Wednesday, May 6, 2009

National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)




At the end of my final exams, I received my results; the second best in my class and the third best in the entire institution. My youth corps posting came out a little late, and I was posted to Ibadan. I reported there, and spent my first few weeks at the Anglican Parsonage where two youth corpers were living and teaching for the Anglican College. Emmanuel Otutubuike and his friend from Anambra State lived there and taught there. It was from their corpers lodge that I set out every morning to the NYSC Secretariat in Ibadan to find out my posting. I was eventually posted to the Methodist College Campus of the Oyo State College of Education, Elekuro where I taught Business courses. I met Fidelis Oboh, Moses Omoruhimwen and other corpers. My corpers lodge was in Odo-Oba (behind Molete) in Ibadan. From there I commuted everyday to Elekuro to teach. I also visited University of Ibadan where my cousin, Ihuoma Nwaogwugwu, was studying statistics. My future brother-in-inlaw, Emmanuel Okoronkwo Chukwu, was also there studying Economics (I suppose). I also made a new friend Chibuzo Anyim who hails from Isiala-Ngwa. He was a very nice and friendly guy. During my youth corps activties, I developed and hosted "Igbo By Television" at the Television Service of Oyo State (TSOS), Ibadan. I was also in the NYSC Choir. I took part in a nationwide competion to find an Anthem for the NYSC. One colleague won the lyrics competition. I won the music composition. My martial music was rendered with the lyrics, and I won a national award for that anthem. At my award recognition night, I was invited to the Sheraton Hotel in Ikeja Lagos where Alhaji Bunu Sherif Musa read my citation and shook my hands (of course, that was a big deal). You know that everything is not money. I was happy that my composition won the first position and became the NYSC Anthem. A few people still remembered that the NYSC Anthem was composed by Frederick Nwosu (none other than Arthur Freds) while serving in Ibadan.

1 comment:

  1. What is the name of your colleague that won the lyrics competition and in what year.

    ReplyDelete